These are made with a combo of flours and oats, plus nuts and fruit that will give you great nutrition, get you going and KEEP you going throughout the morning.
Breakfast is SO important. I actually lost weight from starting to eat breakfast (a healthy one of course). The saying goes "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper". This is a great quote to think about how to eat throughout the day. Not saying I do all the time, but it's a good guideline.
These muffins a a bit dense but I wanted them that way- so it feels filling when you bite into it. I used almonds, dried cranberries, dried cherries, dried and fresh blueberries. Mix it up with what you like!
(Makes 12 muffins)
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of instant oats (you know the rolled oats you make oatmeal with)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 3 tbs of canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of non fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup of nuts (your choice)
- 1 cup of dried/fresh fruit (your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with baking cups (or just spray with cooking spray if you don't have cups)
- In one bowl combine the first 5 ingredients and whisk.
- In another bowl add the next 6 ingredients (which are in italics-oil, egg, apple sauce, sugar and yogurt) and whisk until combined.
- Add the first bowl of dry ingredients into the bowl of the wet ingredients in 3 batches. Add a little, then mix in, next batch, mix in, last batch, mix in.
- Then gently fold all your nuts and fruits into the batter.
- Fill the muffin cups until 3/4 the way up- don't be afraid to fill them a bit higher- they will not rise that much like regular cupcakes because they are dense.
- Cook about 25 minutes. Use a toothpick to check to see if they are done- if the toothpick comes out clean they are done- if not cook in 3 minute intervals until they are.
They stay good for at least 5 days in a ziplock bag on the counter.