· ½ tsp salt
· 3 tbsp COLD butter- cut into small pieces
· 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
· ½ c cream cheese
· 3 1/2 tbsp cold water
· 8 slices of bacon
· 1 cup of bleu cheese
· 1 onion
· 1 garlic cloves
· 3 small sprigs of fresh thyme
· Salt, pepper
· 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
· 2-3 small tomatoes, sliced
· 1 egg- beaten for egg wash
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bacon on a baking sheet/rack and throw in the oven until brown and crispy- Time will vary; just keep an eye on it.
2. Slice your tomatoes and put into a strainer/colander and cover with kosher salt. This will help draw out a lot of moisture so the tomatoes won’t make the crust soggy. When you are ready to use just rinse quickly and shake dry as much as you can.
3. In a food processor* combine the flour, cornmeal and ½ tsp salt. Pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like a coarse meal. In another small bowl combine the lemon juice and cream cheese and then add to the food processor- pulse a few times. Add the water and pulse until the mixture is moist – but doesn’t form a ball- you still want it crumbly. Take out the dough and place on a sheet of plastic wrap, shape into a dish, cover it up with the plastic wrap and pop in the fridge for about 20 mins.
*If you don't have a food processor, you can always whisk the dry ingredients, then work the butter in quickly with your fingers-work it into the flour by rubbing it in- make sure the butter is super cold- it will start to look like parm cheese, work the cream cheese mixture in with a whisk, same with the water step. Basically if you don't do it with a food processor it's not the end of the world- this isn't exactly formal baking
4.While you wait for the dough- in a small sauce pan get some oil hot and then add the chopped onion and garlic. Heat should be medium, medium low- try not and burn it. Add salt, pepper & thyme. When that is all cooked turn off the heat, add the balsamic vinegar, and set aside to cool for now.