Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving Dinner + Leftover Turkey Chili

So my first Thanksgiving dinner party went great.  I am so thankful the turkey (cooking it for the first time ever!) was juicy and delicious and for the friends that came over to help enjoy it.  I didn't have too many leftovers but my favorite turkey use up is chili- it is an easy one pot meal and you can use just about anything you have left over. 

I didn't take many pictures of my dinner party which I am a bit upset about, but Christmas party time is right around the corner! 

So quick recap: I defrosted the 15lb frozen turkey for 2 days, brined for another 2 days, then let dry out in the fridge over night before I roasted and basted for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.  Then let rest for at least half an hour.  I followed Anne Burrell's brined turkey recipe for the most part.  (I also have to especially thank my brother and sister in law for letting me borrow the electric knife- otherwise I would have been cutting that thing forever!) Then when I was all done with the turkey I even made some homemade turkey stock!


See all the wonderful flavors being infused!?

I served appetizers: cheese platter, homemade olive bread, stuffed mushrooms, nuts etc.



Main course: was of course the turkey w homemade gravy, roasted regular and sweet potatoes, roasted broccoli, corn muffins, biscuits, cheesy cauliflower, stuffing, Anne Burrell's Killer Mac and Cheese with Bacon (which was the hit of the party) and the gross jelly cranberry stuff (which will not be served next time).  There could of been more, I just can't remember right this second.


Not bad for the first time!
 Dessert (which most of us didn't even have room to consume) was homemade pignoli cookies and clemetines. 



I can't wait to do this again.  And next time will come with more pictures.

Now on to the leftovers!  Remember you can swap or substitute whatever you have/want.

Ingredients

  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 poblano chili peppers
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • about 3 cups of leftover turkey chopped or sliced into bite size pieces with all bones and skin removed
  • 1 cup of corn
  • 1 (28oz) can of crushed tomatoes
  • 28oz of homemade turkey stock (just use tomato can to measure)
  • 1 (15oz) can of red kidney beans
  • 2 palmfuls of chili powder
  • 1 palmful of cumin
  • 1/2 palmfull of coriander
  • salt to taste
Directions
  1. In a large pot, heat up a bit of oil.
  2. Add the onion and peppers, cook for about 5-7 minutes
  3. Add the garlic, cook 2 minutes
  4. Add all the spices first, then everything else
  5. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  I usually like to simmer for at least 20 minutes to get the flavors married.  Longer is fine.  If it looks to thick, add a bit more stock.
  6. Garnish with leftover shredded cheese, sour cream, pickled jalapenos, raw onions, crumbled corn bread, tortilla chips etc!

1 comment:

benilhalk said...

My thanksgiving was also fantastic. We had small gathering at one of local Seattle venues where my family, relatives and some friends were present. We tried some new dishes and enjoyed evening to the fullest.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...