Thursday, March 22, 2012

Potato and Beet Layered Cake


So this idea is obviously a spin off of a classic Pommes Anna, but I decided to incorporate beets.  This is the first time I have ever bought beets.I love trying new foods, especially when they are healthy foods! You never know what you will actually like.  Be adventurous!  FYI the beets will stain your hands a bit, so make sure you either wear gloves or don't care your hands are pink for a little while. 

Beets are so beautiful in color and have a very earthy flavor.  They are fat free and packed with fiber and vitamin C.  So eat up!

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds of beets
  • 2 pounds of baking potatoes (like russet)
  • 1 cup of grated cheese of your choice (I used Pecorino)
  • Chives (or scallions)
  • Fresh Dill
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Oil
Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
  2. Prep your potatoes and beets: wash them, peel them (I only peeled the beets) and then thinly slice on a mandoline. 
  3. Put the beets and potatoes in separate bowls to maintain the potatoes natural color.  I usually like to soak any potatoes I use, so after I slice I throw the potatoes into a bowl of water, then just pat dry before layering them.
  4. Shred the cheese of choice and chop the chives
  5. In a skillet (I used cast iron) add about 1-2 tbsp of oil and brush it to coat the entire pan evenly.
  6. Start layering the potatoes and beets in a circular pattern, alternating beet, potato, beet, potato.
  7. When the first layer is done, sprinkle 1/3 c of cheese, a pinch of dill, chives and pepper.
  8. Repeat the layering processing.  Push down the second layer and sprinkle cheese, chives, dill and pepper.  The second layer I also sprinkled a small pinch of salt.  (But the pecorino cheese is very salty so I only salted one layer)
  9. Repeat once more (I was able to make three layers).

  10. Crank the heat under the skillet to high.  You should hear it sizzling.  After about 7 minutes check the bottom the cake with a spatula, if brown pop into the oven and cook for about 45 minutes.  Or until all crispy and cooked throughout.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...