Friday, August 17, 2012

{Leftover} Ham & Spinach Quiche!



So I had a whole bunch of leftover ham (like the country "we eat only on Easter and/or Christmas" type of ham.  Funny, it had that honey glaze stuff on it- so I just rinsed the ham and then froze it- now it is coming time to clean out the freezer and I had to find a recipe to make with this ham. 

It took a while (like over an hour!) to cook though- but seconds to whip together.  So if you want a quick make ahead recipe to tell your significant other to just pop in the oven then will be ready to eat when you get home- this is it.

Quiche is awesome because you can throw in basically anything and everything. (A fridge/freezer cleaner).  I was even surprised when Brendan said it was really good- lol.  I didn't think he would like it as much- but I guess you really can't go wrong with cheese and eggs.

Measurements aren't exactly on point, since I kind of just eyeballed everything.  When you pour it in the baking dish and it looks like it would be a good omelet- you did it right. Hehe.

Ingredients

  • 5-6 eggs
  • 1 cup of cooked ham- diced
  • 1-2 cups of broccoli, diced
  • big handful of baby spinach, chopped
  • 3 scallions, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of another cheese (Like cheddar, pecorina, parm, - I had some feta I needed to use up)
  • about 1/2 tbsp of salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp of fresh (or dry) rosemary, thyme and parsley
  • phyllo dough*
  • cooking spray

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
  2. Whip the eggs in a big bowl. 
  3. Add everything else into the bowl except the phyllo dough and cooking spray. Mix until combined.
  4. Spray a baking dish (I think my dish was an 8x8) with cooking spray and layer in your phyllo dough sheets (I used about 10-15 sheets).  Spray each layer as you go with the spray.
  5. Pour in your egg mixture.
  6. Bake for an hour to and hour and a half until it is set.  Depending on the size of your dish it could be less time.  If the phyllo dough starts to get too brown (mine even burnt a bit but was still good) just lower the heat a bit.
  7. You know it's set by jiggling the dish- if it doesn't look like the eggs are raw you're good to go.
  8. Then just slice and serve!  (I served with sliced Italian bread)
*If you've never used phyllo dough before you could even omit it from the dish entirely or use a pie crust recipe instead.  Phyllo dough comes in the frozen section (next to the pie crusts) and is delicate sheets of dough that you can use for all sorts of things (mainly seen in desserts though- think baklava).  See my bite sized phyllo cup dessert recipe- healthy and easy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...