Start your day off right with a fancy looking open faced sandwich! I was inspired to make this after watching Bobby Flay make something similiar. This would be perfect for a brunch- super easy to make and filling yet not heavy.
Poaching eggs are so easy and really lends itself well to the roll it sits on.
There are lots of ways to make this sandwich, so if you want to make substitions, feel free.
- 1 egg, poached
- 1/3 cup of cheese, shredded (I used parmesean)
- 2-3 tomato slices
- kaiser roll, split in half (you'll only need one half for each sandwich)
- oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- handful of arugula
- white vinegar
- To Poach Eggs: Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat so it is right before a rolling boil (you want the water with basically no bubbles, just really hot). Add 2-3 tbsp of vinegar to the water. Break the egg in a small bowl first so its easy to transfer to the water. Add the egg gently to the water and swirl the water around the egg a bit so the whites form around the yolk. Cook for about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and lay gently on a paper towel to dry off excess water.
- To assemble the sandwich: Brush or drizzle oil on the bread and season with salt and pepper. Toast under the broiler until brown and crispy. Then top with cheese- put under the broiler again to melt cheese. Lay sliced tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add the arugula and then gently lay the egg on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes if you want.
- Cut a small slit in the egg and let the yolk run down all over the sandwich.